Monday, December 5, 2016

It's Monday! What are you reading?


'Tis the season for new holiday books!  I ordered some copies of Walk This World at Christmastime, by Debbie Powell.


I was first drawn to the multicultural theme of Powell's book.  My campus has a diverse population, and I'm always on the lookout for books that feature different cultures.  

The large, heavy-duty pages feature several countries in each two-page spread, with hidden flaps to lift and learn details from each country's Christmas traditions.  There are also numbered flaps from one to twenty-five scattered throughout the book which can be used as an Advent calendar, prompting a re-reading of the story.  The text is concise, allowing the reader to focus on the pictures.  The illustrations are mirrored on the cover--bright, graphic, with lots of details to peruse and discuss.  By the end of the book, the reader has "walked" the entire globe. 

I'm adding a copy to my home and school libraries; I think the flaps are sturdy enough to last through a few dozen check-outs.  

It's Monday--what holiday books are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment