Monday, May 23, 2016

It's Monday! What are you reading?

I've mentioned before that I'm a slow reader, and also have less time for reading during the school year--I get most of my reading done during summer break.

In the midst of May madness (end of school year tasks, prepping for summer activities, welcoming our new college grad back home), I took a quick peek at my Facebook feed and saw the American Library Association's #Readathon2016 challenge.  

For once, I decided that my reading pile took precedence over my to-do list.  I gathered my pile of books--some I needed to finish, others I hadn't started yet--found my one-hour timer....and started a load of laundry.

Then I plopped into a chair, started the timer (restarted it three more times), and finished/ read three of the books on my pile, and got 120 pages farther into a fourth! 


Love Wins by Rob Bell was suggested by a pastor friend.  Thought provoking religious material on the subjects of heaven, hell, and redemption; I'm going to recommend this book to my friends, because I'd like to discuss Bell's perspective.  It's only 224 pages, but took me a few sittings because I had to think and process along the way.

Lawn Boy and Lawn Boy Returns by Gary Paulsen are from my library shelves.  Recommended by a substitute on my campus, I decided I needed some light, fun reading.  They are short books, too--I read each in about an hour, and learned a bit about economics in the process.  Paulsen makes the possibility of a kid becoming rich from a lawn-mowing business almost plausible.

Alas, I still haven't finished The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.  I was pleased with my progress, though, and plan to finish it this week.  

I did finish five loads of laundry in between timer resets.

The other three books?  They'll be at the top of my summer reading pile!

Happy reading this Monday!

6 comments:

  1. Weekends are my reading time during the school year which is finally winding down. Can't wait for summer and more reading time! Here is my week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weekends are laundry and writing and cooking and sleeping in for me! Summer is just around the corner; whew!

      Delete
  2. I struggle to fit reading in to my busy schedule too - thankfully I have a long commute and don't get motion-sick, so at least I can get some reading done on the bus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes wish I could commute via public transportation for that very reason. Good use of your time!

      Delete
  3. I need a good readathon, but this last weekend was not a good time. I miss the 48 Hour Book Challenge. Glad you were able to work on one.

    ReplyDelete