Monday, January 25, 2016

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Oh, do I have a lot of books spinning at once this week!

In the Book Nook of my library, we are reading Dog vs. Cat by Chris Gall.  Dog and Cat are  adopted by the Button couple on the same day, only to find out they will have to share a room.  Their different personalities (think "Odd Couple") make it a difficult situation--until they face a common threat.  It's been great fun reading this aloud to my K-2 students, and I know they'll enjoy it even more when it hits the shelf and they can pore over the funny details Gall has included in his illustrations.

I have four fifth grade Lunch Bunch book clubs this year--two meet to discuss what they are reading as individual choices, and the other two opted for group books.  I am finishing up Crow by Barbara Wright to discuss with my historical fiction-loving group this week.  Stories dealing with the topic of racial injustice are hard for me to read, just because it tears at my heart so much.  It will be interesting to hear what my fifth graders think of this depiction of the life of an African-American boy living in North Carolina in 1898.


My adventure- and fantasy-loving book club just met, and couldn't decide on a single book, so three of them are reading The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau, and the other two chose Trapped in Death Cave by Bill Wallace.  I seem to remember reading Ember  awhile ago, but it's worth the re-read so I can discuss it in detail. Good thing I have a month to finish both books! 




My grown-up reading these days has centered on self-discovery and self-help; must be that big 5-0 birthday this spring prompting change and growth.  I have two going at once--Younger Next Year for Women by Chris Crowley, which offers health guidance to live strong into your retirement years; and Queen of Your Own Life: The Grown-Up Woman's Guide to Claiming Happiness and Getting the Life You Deserve by Cindy Ratzlaff and Kathy Kinney, a fun, uplifting read to celebrate the mature woman.  I highly recommend both!

It's Monday--what are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment