Saturday, October 29, 2011

Yes, I've been reading!

A month since my last post....oops!  At least I can say that I have actually read some books this past month--some for my classroom, some for my Young Adult Literature course, and of course, the neverending slew of magazine, catalog, and online reading that I do on a daily basis!  Here are my newest faves...

Athletic Shorts: Six Short StoriesFrom my YA Lit class:  Athletic Shorts by Chris Crutcher, and Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan.  The first I did not expect to like at all--a teen read about high school jocks?  Really?  But the stories are more about the young men, and less about the sports they play.  The first short story had me laughing, and the last had me in tears.  Enough said!


Tales From Outer Suburbia








Tales from Outer Suburbia, by Shaun Tan, is a must -read for middle school to adult folks.  Just about every single entry in this collection of stories leaves you hanging with more questions than answers.  Not to mention the fact that the illustrations are awesome as well!  I liked this book so much, I'm thinking of adding it to my personal book shelf.


As for my classroom reads, it's all about fall and Halloween right now.  I've loaded my school bag with the following books:  When Autumn Comes, by Robert Maass; The Teeny Tiny Ghost, by Kay Winters; Halloween Pie, by Michael O. Tunnell; and Five Little Pumpkins, by Dan Yaccarino--I understand there's now an app for iPad for this one!  My own personal children had these books read to them, and now my students will get to hear them as well.
The Teeny Tiny GhostWhen Autumn Comes 

Five Little PumpkinsHalloween Pie

















On a personal note:  I am halfway through my fifth semester in my Library Science program!  I'm applying for my spring internship soon, and will graduate with my Master's Degree in May.  Then I'll have even more time to read and share books with you.
Happy Halloween, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment