Monday, January 20, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?

This year, I am trying to read more of what is already on my shelves, instead of buying new books.  So what did I pull off my shelf this Sunday?
The Little Prince by [de Saint-Exupéry, Antoine]
I'm a little embarrassed to say that this is one of those books I thought I had read, only to find out after the first page that I hadn't.  It is a very thought-provoking story, with commentary on wisdom, imagination, and what is truly important from the very beginning.  It's a little like reading A Whack on the Side of the Head , The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and  Start With Why but in allegory.

I'm about halfway through the book.  This is what I'm thinking about while reading The Little Prince:
  • Children often arrive unannounced (just like opening my eyes in the middle of the night to see one of my own children standing next to my bed, staring at me and in need of something).
  • Children's questions are worth answering, and if we cannot provide an answer, then maybe we need to re-examine the subject at hand.
  • Children can see beyond the obvious, into the wonderful world of imagination that grownups often overlook. 
  • Adults can be all about the sums and the "matters of consequence", which is really quite sad.
  •  A child's world is quite small, when you think about it--home, and school, and the view from a car seat through a tiny window. Any little change can be a momentous event against such a limited background--the appearance of a pretty flower where once there was none, for instance.
  • A lot of adult privileges and vices--being in charge, ownership of stuff, drinking, careers, fame--are inconsequential, if they are not truly useful.
Since we have a day off from school and work, I'm going to finish The Little Prince and spend some more time pondering the lessons it holds.  It's Monday; what are you reading that's thought-provoking today?

No comments:

Post a Comment