Monday, January 6, 2020

It's Monday! What are you reading?

Welcome back from Winter Break!  I hope you got plenty of time to read just for fun!

So what did I read?  A holiday book!
The 13th Gift by Joanne Huist Smith is worth reading at any time of the year.  It's a true story of how heartfelt gifts from strangers lifted a family out of the depths of sorrow, to find joy once more in the Christmas season and beyond.  If generosity is one of your New Year's resolutions, this just may be the book to spur you on and get you thinking about creative ways to give back.  

What's next on my reading list?  I am returning to the daily reading of one of my favorite books:  Simple Abundance, by Sarah Ban Breathnach.
I read this book in its first incarnation, twenty-five years or so ago.  This edition, with updates to accommodate technological changes, fits right in with my personal Depth Year challenge for 2020.  The daily passages are short enough to be read in fifteen minutes or so, and set a tone of thoughtfulness and gratitude to carry throughout the day.

I have also started Atomic Habits, by James Clear. 
For better and worse, I am a creature of habits and routines.  I need to establish productive habits at work ("Habits" is my One Word for work in 2020), and improve on my personal routines, so I'm looking forward to what this book will teach me.

I can't forget my kidlit book for Book Lunch Bunch! I am halfway through Once Upon a Marigold, a quirky, fun fractured fairy tale by Jean Ferris.  We get to meet Edric, the friendly troll; Christian, a runaway boy who refuses to go home; and a cast of cute creatures both domestic, magical and mythical.  There's even a few puns thrown in for good measure--i.e. characters can send messages by p-mail.  (Read it to find out what the "p" stands for!)

It's Monday!  What books did you get to read over Winter Break?  What books are on your 2020 to-read pile?

No comments:

Post a Comment